To Prevent A Tragedy This Holiday Season
Residents Should Practice Cooking Safety
MERIDIAN TOWNSHIP - With the holiday season upon us, many more people are sending time in the kitchen. With so many dishes and desserts to prepare, the Meridian Township Fire Department wants to remind residents to practice cooking safety.
Fire Inspector Tavis Millerov from the Meridian Township Fire Department said, "Cooking fires are still uh the number one cause of fires in America. Have been that way uh for a decade or two."
Fire Inspector Millerov offers some advice on how to not lose track of what's on the stove once guest start to arrive to your home.
"Always keep a utensil and an oven mitt in your hand and even on. Cause as soon as people start arriving, you need to go greet guest or what ever you need to put one of these two items down. And that's going to remind you that oh what hey I've got something on the stove or I've got something in the oven," he said.
Still, grease fires can occur if not careful. If one does happen do not use water to try and put it out, Millerov warned. Instead, "You wanna actually take your lid if something in the pan catches fire with grease and you wanna try to get that lid over top of it to smother the air out of it," suggested Millerov
Holiday day cooking can get out of hand at any moment, which is why the Meridian Township Fire Department says having an at home fire extinguisher in your kitchen is an absolute must!
Fire Inspector Millerov went on to say residents should check to make sure theirs is working and if not or if you don't have one, you can find one at your local home improvement store.
If you do start a fire, big or small and manage to put it out, residents should still call the Meridian Township Fire Department to come out and make sure everything is okay.