MERIDIAN TOWNSHIP - The 4th of July holiday is quickly approaching, and Meridian Township Fire Department would like to remind the community to follow the rules and regulations of using fireworks.
Meridian Township Fire Marshal, Tavis Millerov stated that, "Consumer Fireworks can be used from June 29 through July 4 from 11:00 am until 11:45 pm each day. You must be on your own property to use them, and not under the influence of any drugs or alcohol.”
Fire Marshal Millerov also provided more safety tips and awareness as the fireworks season approaches.
"There should be no children using fireworks at all," stated Fire Marshal Millerov.
It is against the law for minors under the age of 18 to use and purchase any kind of fireworks. They must be handled only by an adult.
"I always tell people to leave the fireworks to the professionals and to go see one of the shows provided."
Another major awareness regarding firework safety from Fire Marshal Millerov is to know the proper disposal of discarded fireworks.
"When you’re done using your fireworks and you have the discarded cartons and tubes, we recommend soaking them in water."
Disposing of discarded fireworks improperly into your garbage cans immediately after will cause a fire.
"Properly disposing of them after you use them is really important to prevent a major fire incident," Fire Marshal Millerov said.
Here are more safety tips to consider when handling fireworks this year:
• Obey all local laws regarding the use of fireworks.
• Know your fireworks; read the cautionary labels and performance descriptions before igniting.
• Never use fireworks while impaired by drugs or alcohol.
• Never allow children to handle fireworks.
• Anyone using fireworks or standing nearby should wear protective eyewear.
• Never light them indoors.
• Only use them away from people, houses, and flammable material.
• Only light one device at a time and maintain a safe distance after lighting.
• Never ignite devices in a container.
• Do not try to re-light or handle malfunctioning fireworks.
• Soak unused fireworks in water for a few hours before discarding.
• Keep a bucket of water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that don’t go off or in case of fire.