Vacation Home Checks: A Service Provided
By Meridian Police Department
MERIDIAN TOWNSHIP - During the holidays, families take this time to go on vacation leaving their house to be prey for home invasions. Homeowners should take precautions to protect their home while planning for a vacation. The illusion of everyday activity will throw off burglars making them belief someone is home.
Meridian Township Police have stepped in to keep homes safe by checking residents home and patrolling the neighborhood closely looking for suspicious activity.
"We look for obviously signs of a break in and you are then also providing us with information to contact you or your care taker you may have designated to get clarification on some issues that maybe we find. At times we've found homes that have a natural gas leak and prevented destruction of the home, flooding, pipe bursts in the home and we'll see indications of windows steaming up, there's water coming out of the home and we'll report that," said Lt. Greg Frenger of Meridian Police Department. "Before leaving, fill out a Property Check Request indicating when you're departing and arriving back."
Below is a checklist provided by Meridian Police Department.
1. Ask us to check your home and patrol your neighborhood more closely while you are gone.
2. Stop mail and newspaper deliveries, or have a trusted neighbor collect them while you are away so that they do not accumulate.
3. Also ask your neighbor to remove any advertising flyers that are deposited in your mailbox or around your door, driveway, or lawn.
4. Secure all doors, windows, pet entrances, and garage doors.
5. Transfer valuables to a safety deposit box.
6. Place timers on indoor lamps and appliances to illuminate your home at night, and set timers to turn on radios and televisions randomly during the day.
7.Check that no bulbs are burned out on your indoor lamps, outdoor lighting fixtures, or low voltage lighting system.
8. Arrange to have your landscaping maintained or your driveways and walks shoveled.
9. Keep some shades and blinds up and curtains open to maintain a normal appearance.
10. Have one trusted friend check your home, inside and out, each day.
11. Remove messages from your telephone answering machine daily so that the "beep" is always short. Do not indicate on your message that you are on vacation.