MERIDIAN TOWNSHIP - Do you know how recycling helps our environment? Here are some interesting facts about how recycling affects our environment.
Recycling Aluminum Cans:
- Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to keep a 100-watt bulb burning for almost four hours or run your television for three hours.
- If all the aluminum cans Americans threw away in one month were stacked on top of each other, they would reach to the moon.
- Aluminum cans are able to be recycled using less than 5% of the energy used to make the original product.
- Every ton of paper that is recycled saves about 17 trees.
- Every tree provides enough oxygen for three people to breathe.
Recycling Plastic Bottles:
- Americans throw away 2.5 million plastic bottles every hour.
- Making plastic bottles to meet Americans' demand for bottled water requires more than 1.5 million barrels of oil annually, enough to fuel some 100,000 U.S. cars for a year.
It is important not to forget to rinse the cans and bottles with water before recycling. Recycle is easy and economic. Let's recycle, save energy, and save earth.